People suffering from diabetes need to pay extra attention to their skin. Since the blood glucose levels run high, the skin tends to get pretty dry and can end up cracking and itching which later leads to infections. For everyone who has diabetes, it is very important to keep the skin moisturized. Moisturizing is the easiest way to prevent any skin problems.
Here are someone skin care tips for diabetic patients:
- After you have washed your body with soap, make sure to dry it properly from every little corner. Then, use a moisturizer all over the body, except between your toes
- Always be on the looking for blisters, red spots and sores on your body as they can often lead to infections.
- Whenever you get a cut, treat it right away.
- Keep an eye out for any changes or bumps on your feet.
- Avoid taking very hot showers and baths since they end up drying out the skin. Plus, avoid soaking your feet too since exposure to water for a long time can soften the skin of your feet and make it more prone to getting pierced.
- It is super important to keep your blood glucose levels as close to normal as possible.
- Your intake of water should be quite a lot so that you can prevent your skin from getting dehydrated. Also, always go for caffeine-free and sugar-free drinks.
- You should be very cautious about moisturizing your body, especially when it’s cold or windy outside. Don’t forget to keep your lips moisturized by applying lip balm several times a day.
- Diabetic patients should eat less saturated fat and their intake of fruits and veggies should be good. However, just avoid your intake of dried fruit such as cranberries and raisins.
And these are the skin care tips for diabetic patients. Taking care of your skin is very important, so you should keep these tips in mind.